It’s just the beginning of summertime and already you are sick of the tedious meal prep, continuous clean-up and the need for creative ideas to keep the kids busy. Well, if that isn’t you, I guess I may be out-numbered, because that IS me. Even though the kids are not too keen on it, I LUV this avocado egg salad wrap.
I have never really been a mayonnaise girl except for one that is made from avocado. It is marketed towards the paleo community, and is by Primal Kitchen. At any rate, it had me thinking, “why not create my own, in such a way!” Avocado have all the goodness we need to keep well energized, too.
- monounsaturated fats
There’s also a bit of Vit B6, Vit C and magnesium.
What’s even better with this recipe is that it is low-carb since I did not use any type of bread. Since I grow a lot of greens in my house, I decided to see how big my bok choy could get. Well, it is big enough for a delicious wrap. Bok choy is a cruciferous veggie that packs a lot of nutrition.
- Vit K
- Vit C
- Vit A
- calcium (yeah! A non-dairy source of calcium)
- B6 (and so much more).
I am not one to waste the produce I am using. The stems on bok choy are nice and crispy so I chopped those up like they were celery and added them to the egg salad. Oh yes, before I forget, you need to slim out that stem/vein as well. This will make it much easier to wrap up. Just be sure not to cut with a heavy hand especially if you are beginning the cut up more into the leaf itself; you don’t want to end up with a hole in wrap.
If you are following me on Facebook, I actually shared this avocado egg salad recipe on Facebook Live and you can see it here. I hope you love this as much as I do and since the calories are not high at all (I reveal those in the video) you can also serve this up with some fruit and if you are not worried about carbs, add some whole grains, too. If you prefer no extra carbs, then serve it with a quinoa salad. Yum!
Be sure to stop back by after you have made it and let us know what you thought of my favorite avocado egg salad wrap.
Low-Carb Avocado Egg Salad Wrap
- 1 large whole egg hard boiled
- 1 large egg white hard boiled
- ¼ medium avocado
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 leaf fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano chopped
- 1 large bok choy leaf
- Hard boil eggs and allow to cool to touch.
- Add one whole egg and the whites of the second along with 1/4 of an avocado to a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mash together.
- Roughly chop basil and oregano and add to egg mixture.
- Cut the stem the bok choy so that it is easier to roll into a wrap. Chop the stem and add to the salad.
- Place the salad on the leaf and fold up.
- Serve with fruit or your favorite quinoa salad on the side.