One of the best ways to get and stay healthy is to know ahead of time what you will be eating. By putting together a meal plan that includes ideas for recipes and when those meals will be served, your healthy goals are most likely achievable.
As the one who designs the weekly meal plan in my household as well as for Super Healthy Kids, I have seen first hand how preparation can change many aspects of a persons life. For families, it can reduce stress of meal time, for an individual it can aid in weight loss and for everyone, it can add a whole lot of goodness to a meal or snack.
How can YOU successfully meal plan?
- The first step is to simply scan what you have. By looking through your cabinets, pantry and refrigerator, you can begin to develop an idea of what could be made. This will not only help you save money but it will eliminate wasted food.
- Check your schedule for the week ahead. This will help you to figure out if you should plan crockpot meals, to-go meals or whether you should be prepping over the weekend to be ready with dinner in 30 minutes or less.
- Now decide just how many meals you will really be making. This is when you should really have that recording tool out. This may be an app, your Google calendar or simply a piece of paper and a pretty pen. Write out the days of the week and highlight those days you will be cooking. You may even want to joy down approximately how much time you should allot for prepping and cooking.
- Gather your family members and choose those recipes. You can grab your favorite cookbooks, magazines, open up Pinterest or even your favorite meal planning website. Write down the recipes and where to find the recipes so you can reference them quickly.
- If you have properly scanned the food you have on hand now, and you have taken a good look at the recipes, you should know what food items are needed at the grocery store. It is time to shop!
- When you get home from the market, begin your initial meal prep steps by getting the veggies and fruits washed, cut and put away. Cook grains then chop and separate any meats you may be using as well.
- Get ready to cook! Your week should be much clearer regarding what is being served all week
- Time to serve so make it pretty, fun, and appetizing in appearance. I love bringing out the beauty when I eat no matter if I am serving my family, guests or just ME! When food is easy to cook and beautiful, it WILL get eaten. Trust me.
So, there you have it! Nothing fancy. I would love to know how you meal plan for the week. It just may help someone!