My mom’s favorite breakfast food when keeping my children overnight is pancakes. She also has a favorite box mix that simply requires the addition of an egg and a cup of water. Plus, she adds grandma’s secret ingredient and my kiddos favorite: mini chocolate chips! No judging, when they are at grandma’s it’s ooookaaaay. Moving past grandma’s for now, here is my favorite pancake recipe.
When you think about boxed foods, do think of terms such as high sodium, hydrogenated and artificial? Since becoming a part of the Super Healthy Kids team, I am confident that there is a healthy, homemade alternative for every boxed or prepackaged food. I have been making scratch pancakes since my daughter was 2 so I unfortunately do not remember where I had originally found my current (altered) recipe. Not only is it clean, but my kids will eat them without any kind of syrup. If they do, yes, we grab the pure maple syrup.
Their favorite add-in request is “chocolate chips,” as they refer to them but I use cocao nibs. I will alter the taste by adding applesauce, pumpkin puree, peanut butter and I have even tried spinach (although they were not too happy with that). A full batch of these pancakes, which make approximately 10 pancakes, only has 1 tablespoon of honey (sometimes I don’t even use any). So the sugar content is the lowest I have ever seen in a basic pancake recipe.
For toppings, they like butter, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and sometimes yogurt. They will even eat one cold for dessert! -How’s that for a low-sugar treat?
For myself, since they are not keen on my personal creations, I will use strawberries and hemp seeds, or almond butter with honey. My ultimate favorite is to add walnuts and top off with bananas. My other love, is to make them for dinner. I typically will only do this when hubby is out of town for work, but the kids love it! Other ways I have altered the recipe:
1. substitute water for the milk
2. leave out the egg
3. used a flax egg. All of these alterations basically came out similar to the original recipe.
Although I have yet to do this, I am sure this simple recipe can made in dry batches and sealed off in a glass jar. Now that I am thinking about it, it would make a great gift for my mom. Don’t forget to share your photo when you try it out, on my Facebook page.
My Favorite Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, honey and oil.
- Gradually stir the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix well. Mix in your add-ins (chia seeds, chocolate chips, nuts etc)
- Pour batter onto hot skillet making pancakes that are approximately 2½ – 3 inches wide. Cook for 2-3 minutes, flip over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.